Saturday, 17 April 2010

Chocolate Simnel Cake


I love marzipan, so I got very excited when I started to see Simnel cake posts appearing on the blogosphere around Mother's Day this year. This is traditionally served at Easter, although it is also associated with Mothering Sunday where servant girls were given the day off and allowed to take a cake home for their mothers. Not only do you get all that lovely marzipan on top, but you get the most delightful surprise layer of squidgy marzipan in the middle which half melts into the cake mixture as it cooks. The whole is topped off with 11 balls of this delicious almond confection. These balls are there to represent the 12 apostles, minus Judas, for reasons any Christian can explain.

Giles's post for Simple Simnel Cake was the inspiration I used to create my own chocolate version. I particularly liked this one because of the inclusion of apricots. Unfortunately, when I went to make the cake, there were no apricots to be found. Improvising madly, I ended up using dried papaya and pineapple instead. This is what I did:
  • Creamed 6oz brown sugar with 6oz unsalted butter until pale and well incorporated.
  • Beat in 3 large eggs alternately with 6oz sieved flour (4oz wholemeal spelt and 2oz coconut flour) and 1 tsp baking powder.
  • Stirred in 1 oz ground almonds, 1/2 tsp mixed spice, 2 tsp ground ginger.
  • Added 2oz dried papaya, 2oz dried pineapple, 3oz cherries (halved), 2oz raisins and 100g 70% dark chocolate (broken into small pieces).
  • Mixed in 2 large tbsp Greek yogurt (TOTAL 0% fat)
  • Spooned 1/2 of the mixture into a 22cm cake thingie, then covered this with 5oz marzipan rolled out into a round slightly smaller than the cake. Covered with remaining cake mixture.
  • Baked at 160C for 1 hour until firm and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean (ish).
  • Allowed to cool, wrapped well in greaseproof paper and placed in a tin for a couple of weeks.
  • On the day of reckoning, rolled out 6oz marzipan into a 22cm round to cover the cake.
  • Melted 1 tbsp plum jam (didn't have any apricot) and brushed over the top of the cake. Placed the marzipan round on top of this and gently pressed into position.
  • Divided another 4oz marzipan into 11 equal lumps and rolled into balls. Placed these around the edge of the cake.
  • Brushed the whole with a beaten egg and put under the grill for mins to brown slightly. Unfortunately, like King Alfred, I managed to burn the marzipan at this point.
  • Decorated with chocolate eggs.
Foolishly I made this three weeks ahead of the event - trying to be organised and thinking that, like a Christmas cake, it would improve on keeping. Nearer the time, I realised this was only a light fruit cake with a relatively short shelf life and I started to panic. Luckily when it came to the grand unveiling at my Easter Tea, all was well. The cake was still moist and made a good impression on all that partook of it. The seemingly burnt marzipan added a lovely caramel flavour - phew! I was somewhat dubious as to how the chocolate would affect the cake, but it actually worked really well. The chocolate bits were by no means overwhelming, but they did enhance the flavour and combined particularly well with the marzipan. Now I know it works, I'm keen to try chocolate with fruit cake again.

I've kindly just been given permission to enter this for Julia's Easter Cake Bake over at A Slice of Cherry Pie, even though I'm a little on the late side - oops and thank you Julia!

14 comments:

  1. Looks great. I very stupidly forgot that it was only 11 apostles and included Judas!!!!! My Sunday School teacher will be wagging her finger at me ;0(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks lovely - a wonderful variety of ingredients too. Hope all went well in Edinburgh. Lucie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice looking cake. Glad it kept okay in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't had simnel cake for years, I love marzipan, and this sounds like an interesting twist on an old recipe, I will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks very nice I love the wee almond confection balls :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, what are you trying to do to me?

    I love simnel cake (a friend baked one for me this year), but with chocolate, too? OH. MY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah Chele, but your cake sounds wonderful.

    Thank you Lucie - yes had a good, if busy, time of it in Edinburgh. It's a lovely city.

    Thanks Janice

    Cottage Garden Farmer - chocolate and marzipan is a winning combination.

    Catherine - the marzipan balls are meant to represent 11 of the 12 apostles - they taste really good!

    Aforkful - oh how wonderful to have one baked for you, even without the chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen a chocolate simnel cake - what a pleasing twist!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was worth the wait; it looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm looks lovely!! I wish I was at the grand unveiling of your cake at your Easter Tea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Caked Crusader and James B

    Julia - thank you again for hanging on

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had the idea that simnel cake is a faff to make but your recipe looks simple enough to follow. I like the addition of tropical fruits. I don't think this would last very long in our house!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great. So much simpler to buy one though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love marzipan and I like the marzipan decorations.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails