Wednesday, 29 February 2012

We Should Cocoa - the Savoury Round-Up

I knew this was going to be a bit of a tough We Should Cocoa challenge and indeed it proved to be so. There was much shaking of heads and dark mutterings going on in the blogoshpere. It started off with only a few hardened souls brave enough to attempt it. After stating in the rules that only one entry per person per month was allowed, I was so worried at the lack of entries coming in, that I broke the rule - just this once, you understand. Having allowed multiple entries, I was suddenly inundated right at the very end - hey ho!

So having laid down the gauntlet for something savoury and vegetarian, the WSC storm troopers came up with any number of imaginative and delicious sounding offering - 25 entries in total! There has been a lot of talk recently about cheese and chocolate pairing and as many of the bloggers who have tried it attest below, it seems to work remarkably well. What I'm wondering most is which one I'm going to make first. In fact I'm almost tempted to set myself the challenge of making each and everyone of these.

Don't forget to pop along to the Chocolate Teapot tomorrow to find out what is in store for us all next month.

Thankfully Homemade by Fleur was excited by the prospect of using chocolate in a savoury dish. She commenced proceedings with bean, pumpkin and chestnut chilli. I love chilli at the best of times, but this adaptation of Fleur's using Willie's 100% chocolate sounds gorgeous.




Hungry Hinny adapted a recipe using cocoa nibs to make chocolate and pecan crusted goat's cheese. Although somewhat dubious to begin with, she enjoyed the challenge and was pleased with the result - hooray!

This was the first time Kate of Turquoise Lemons has entered WSC and what a challenge to start with. These cocoa, rye, pumpkin cheddar scones sound intriguing and with my love of rye flour I shall have to try them out. Thank you Kate.

I love dips so was really excited to see this red bean chocolate hummus from Javelin Warrior's Cookin w/Luv. Served with pita chips, apple slices and radishes, it sounds like my sort of lunch.

These wonderfully elegant savoury goat cheese and chocolate canapés come from Suelle of Mainly Baking. I bet these would go down a storm at any party - am I invited?

A first entry from Jo of Comfort Bites brings us chocoholic's onion and goat's cheese tart. Crazy, she might have thought it, but it looks like a winner to me.

Chocolate, goat's cheese and beetroot must be a winning combination, for it also features at Lavender and Lovage with Karen's hot chevre and beetroot salad with chocolate and vanilla balsamic drizzle - this time complete with beetroot hearts. Is this a new trend emerging perchance?

As long as you don't look at this too closely, you might be able to convince yourself it's Quorn mince. It's certainly what Janice of Farmersgirl Kitchen meant to use in this chocolate chilli con carne.

Having missed out on trying Mole when Laura of How to cook Good Food visited Mexico she decide to make her own with this roasted butternut squash and black bean mole.

For Pancake Day, first timer Kit of Lost In Austen made these amazingly beautiful cocoa crepes with carrots and cumin coconut cream - wow!

Normally I use lentils in my shepherd's pie, but this time I thought I'd try Quorn mince. Quorn is not my favourite thing, but the chocolate worked superbly in this chocolate shepherd's pie.

Another scrummy dip. This time from Phil of As Strong As Soup who always comes up with something interesting. This time he brings us this vibrant pepper dip with almonds and chocolate.

Baking Addict Ros really struggled with this challenge, but she was not to be defeated and came up with these very tasty looking chocolate and cheese twists.

I knew Johanna of Green Gourmet Giraffe would have no problem with this challenge. She's already produced a number of chocolate savoury veggie dishes. This time she came up with something uber original - green apple and white chocolate salad.

Dom of Belleau Kitchen was desperate for meat, so he very cleverly came up with something he could eat and that I too could partake of. I give you his chocolate roast pork belly with a caramelised cocoa and onion gravy and he's right, I want some.

Gill from Tales of Pigling Bland really threw herself into this challenge AND as I was worried about the sparsity of entrants this month, I said I would take whatever she came up with and she came up with a lot! First off:  vegetable cocoa nib nibbles.

Tales of Pigling Bland followed on with these mouth watering Paul A Young's chocolate water biscuits for cheese.

You can see Gill has been havng lots of creative fun in the kitchen finishing with  this vegetable tart with cocoa puff pastry - what a girl!

The entry from Chele of the Chocolate Teapot was a dish of pure nostalgia for me. I grew up on veggie "spag bol" made with lentils - only my mother NEVER made hers with chocolate!

Refried beans is another of my favourites - I think you can probably tell by now that I have my finger on the pulses. So these black bean enchiladas with chipotle & cocoa sauce from Yummy Choo Eats is right up my street.

Assuming you can get hold of Gyoza wrappers, these spicy chocolate Gyoza crisps from Helen of Fuss Free Flavours sound a really simple to prepare nibble to wow your dinner party chums with.

Feeling ill, Tart to Heart, nevertheless managed to pull, or should I say prod, this amazing bittersweet chocolate, sea salt and rosemary focaccia into existence. I've made chilli, chocolate and lime bread before, but this sounds even better.
I suspect Hannah of Corner Cottage Bakery will forever remember her mushroom & stilton tatin with a chocolate and port sauce. Half way through preparing this, she was rushed to A&E having sliced the tip of her finger off! Despite this, or maybe because of it, she reckoned this dish was a success. It certainly looks like one to me.

Chocolate pasta anyone? What an inspired idea. Ren of Fabulicious Food has made this fabulicious penne cocoa pasta with a creamy mushroom sauce - a simple supper fit to be served at the most sophisticated of dinner parties.

This round-up started with chilli and to round-it off nicely, it's finishing with chilli. Carl Legge's vegetarian chilli with chocolate is made with the unusual addition of burghul wheat for a different texture. He served his with yellow corn bread.

41 comments:

  1. Amazing round up! Didn't we all do well!! So many to choose from and so varied. Who'd of thunk it eh? Now PLEASE don't be so mean next time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, everyone did really well. I've got a month to think it over, so not sure which will win out - mean side or kind side ;-)

      Delete
  2. What an absolutely inspired collection of savoury chocolate dishes! Great round-up Choclette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - there's a hell of a lot of creative bloggers out there!

      Delete
  3. I'm amazed at how inventive people have been, and pleased you got so many entries by the end. I guess we take longer to think about the difficult challenges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been it Suelle ;-)

      Delete
  4. Wow! What an incredible round up! Full with amazing & creative recipes. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I nearly forgot, there's an award waiting for you at my blog! Have a lovely day! :)

      Delete
  5. There are so many things I want to make from this round up! I really didn't think this month's challenge would be so popular... Well done everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are all such a creative lot. It's going to take me ages to work my way through this lot.

      Delete
  6. These entries are all so amazing and so many newbies to WSC too. Well done Choc. Sorry I have missed all the fun and Janice's made me laugh most of all with the lack of quorn. Exactly what I would have done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha Kath, I'm sure you would have enjoyed it far more without the quorn. Hope we might see you back with WSC at some point.

      Delete
  7. I am so sorry that I missed the deadline this month - I even made a bean chilli with chocolate (although I admit that most of it ended up in the bin!!!).

    Great round up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no BVG, was it really that bad???

      Delete
  8. We are clever little blogger aren't we!! Love the variety and they all look so scrummy too. Fantastic round up Choclette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chele, it was quite a relief to get so many entries this month. I thought I'd scared everyone off - phew!

      Delete
  9. WOW! I skipped this one because I couldn't think of anything more original than chilli but I am in awe of the diversity of savoury chocolate foods! Well done :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah, I was wondering if I'd end up with only chilli posts, but there is a lot of creative talent out there.

      Delete
  10. Certainly a toughy...but some great entries here!! Now we've got savoury chocolate recipes, we could have it for breakfast, lunch and dinner! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, a chocoholics paradise ;-)

      Delete
  11. Fantastic roundup and frankly I thought it was great fun =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JW, it was great to have you on side :)

      Delete
  12. Who knew there was so much you could do with chocolate?! And the theme was so hard! But everyone came up with something reallt inventive. What a round-up! Thanks for setting such a great challenge. Hope next month is a *tad* easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ren. Having seen this month's challenge, I'm not sure it's any easier at all :-S

      Delete
  13. I never would have predicted the chocolate and cheese combination as being popular - I thought it would be the chocolate chilli combination that would dominate! But now I must be off to try some chocolate and cheese together - it is just hard to know which recipe to start with - so many great ideas here! Great theme - now you need the chocolate and cheese night for bloggers - am sure that would be a great success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised this proved to be such a popular combination to Johanna. It's going to take me a while to try them all out. A chocolate and cheese night sounds like great fun.

      Delete
  14. Great round up with a huge variety. Looking forward to trying out some more of the chocolate/cheese combos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah. looks like this has given a few people some ideas - hope to see lots of chocolate and cheese posts springing up on the blogosphere ;-)

      Delete
  15. What an adventurous lot. I couldn't think of a thing except chilli, which I had already posted. Well done everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he Jac, I was half expecting nothing but chilli recipes - I needn't have worried!

      Delete
  16. WHAT a fabulous round up for such a great and yet unusual challenge! It seems that chocolate and cheese was a run away winner and why not!!
    Thanks for such a thought provoking challenge!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, thanks Karen - it's good to keep us all on our toes from time to time ;-)

      Delete
  17. People have been so creative! Lots of stuff to take a closer look at. Hoping to get chance to take part this month after AGES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's just always sooooo much to do Sarah. Chele has set a bit of a toughy for this month too!

      Delete
  18. Oh I am so sad that I was unable to participate in this challenge as I know I would have enjoyed it for sure. The entries are all fab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have come up with something fabulous Shaheen, I was hoping you might be have been able to join in too.

      Delete
  19. This just made me wayyyyyy to hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know the feeling ;-) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  20. I am so happy for you that you had such a great response to this rather tricky yet interesting challenge. Well done for choosing such a challenge. Everyone's entries are so delicious!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura - I really enjoyed this challenge and watching out for what people were coming up with. Sometimes the most difficult are the best.

      Delete
  21. Well what a challenge! I can't believe everyone came up with so many different ideas. You are all very clever I would never think of such things!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails