Saturday, 14 April 2012

Simnel Cake Update


Easter this year proved to be a rather hectic affair, but also rather an enjoyable one. Not really having been able to do much down at our plot in recent months, we had plenty of catching up to do. Plus we had old friends visiting over the four days who we were also looking forward to catching up with. So, we spent the mornings down at our plot, digging, tidying, mowing, having a bonfire and planting the potatoes and the afternoons with our friends, walking, talking and visiting lovely places - oh, and did I say eating?

For Easter tea on Sunday, we went to my mother's. She had made her usual Simnel Cake and decorated it most beautifully, so I really wanted to show her efforts here. My mother always uses Mrs Beaton's recipe, so it is almost the very cake I grew up with, which is just as it should be!

The Simnel Cake I made went with us to friends for tea on Easter Monday. I wish I'd taken pictures of their lovely spread which included some delicious chocolate brownies topped with clotted cream and raspberries. After eating egg on home made bread, home made scones with home made jam and clotted cream and a brownie, we were all too full to really appreciate my cake. So quite a bit of it came back home with us and is, in fact, still keeping us going.


12 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful Choclette. Whoops, nearly slipped and called you something else there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not something too unflattering I hope ;-)

      Delete
  2. It really does look like a good one. So pretty with the marzipan. Didn't have a single chocolate egg this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mean old lot they are Dom. The only one I had was one of the little ones off my mum's cake. CT and my mother on the other hand did quite well.

      Delete
  3. That's lovely. You obviously get your baking talents from your mum, so often the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure what I'm lusting after more, the simnel cake, the afternoon tea spread, an easter egg or the allotment? Or maybe all of the above. Anyway that cake is truly lovely. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. it really sounds like a perfect easter..your mother's cake is really beautiful with the primroses and chocolates..jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely looking simnel...well done Mum!!! No chocolate though in the recipe?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks absolutely beautiful!
    I have never heard of this cake before and now I know what it is :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails