Monday, 30 April 2012

We Should Cocoa - the Cheese Round-up

The new chocolate Philadelphia has been causing quite a stir it seems. I haven't tried it, but I've heard some positive reports and it makes quite a few appearances amongst this month's We Should Cocoa cheese and chocolate recipes. The Italian classics, mascarpone and ricotta also appear several times as does goat's cheese. I'm very pleased about this as it turned out to be a surprisingly good partner for chocolate in the WSC Savoury challenge. Despite a few gasps, people were not put off too much by the cheese element as we have 34 entries in total. Thanks to everyone for taking part.

Apologies to those where I've used a different photograph to the one they submitted - when I tried to download the images from Linky tools, I only got a thumbnail image so had to download directly from your sites.

For May, I'm delighted to say Laura of How to Cook Good Food will be guest hosting We Should Cocoa. Do head over to her blog on the 1st of May to find out what she is going to challenge us with. We will be reverting to the use of e-mail as stated in the We Should Cocoa guidelines as there are some issues around using Linky Tools.


Having been too unhappy with her green macaroons to enter last month's challenge and repeatedly telling everyone she can't bake, I'm very pleased to see that Fiona of London Unattached is very much mistaken and has made her first appearance in WSC by baking these most delicious looking cream cheese brownies.

Hannah from Corner Cottage Bakery had Easter treats in mind this month. The first to use the much talked about choccy philly (chocolate cream cheese), she made these unique and lush looking chocolate cheesecake eggs.

The next one to use choccy philly was the amazingly energetic Karen of Lavender and Lovage who used it to ice her very cute little Easter egg daisy cakes.

Another Easter extravaganza from Karen of Lavender and Lovage. This time it's the chocolate orange daisy cake she made for her inaugural Clandestine Cake Club - lucky lot!

These Black, white or not cheesecakes from Ros of The more than occasional baker are sublime. Not only did she get cheese and chocolate into these lovely layers, but she also sneaked some of her favourite peanut butter too. Then to top it all (literally), she made some cute little gold chocolate bars.

Phil of As Strong As Soup has gone all healthy on us this month - possibly to recover from the Easter overload? Using choccy philly (a very apt name in this case I feel), these pear and chocolate filo tarts sound quite delicious.

More truffles using cream cheese. Why didn't I ever think of this? Made for a birthday, these chocolate cheese truffles from Snowy of Cookbooks Galore sound splendid and a relatively simple way of whipping up a real treat.

Our second cheesecake to make an appearance is from first timer Vivian Pang Kitchen and it's a real stunner. Marble cheesecake - need I say more!

If cheese and chocolate wasn't a good enough combination, how about cheese, chocolate and rhubarb. Janine of Cake of the Week has come up with this winning combination in her cream cheese, rhubarb and chocolate cupcakes - they look so pretty too.

Suelle of Mainly Baking can always be relied on to come up with something impressive for WSC and this month she gives us Rugelach with chocolate and cherries. Not only impressive but sounding absolutely delicious too.

Who doesn't love a bargain? When Hungry Hinny found a bag of Minstrels going cheap, she couldn't resist using some of them to bake biscuits. Unusually, these Minstrel cookies are made with cream cheese rather than egg - perfect for WSC.

Susie of Fold in the Flour was another one trialing out the new choccy philly. She used it to make double chocolate cheesecake muffins, her first WSC entry. When she described the result as fudgy, I was completely won over.

For something completely different, Janice of Farmersgirl Kitchen came up with these Sicilian inspired chocolate dipped cannoli. Filled with Amaretto, chocolate and ricotta, these had me going weak at the knees.

Corina of Searching for Spice has become another choccy philly convert it would seem. Her chocolate Philadelphia fudge cheesecake looks creamy, mousse like and delicious.



These gorgeous raspberry, white chocolate and mascarpone tartlets are from WSC first timer Under the Blue Gum Tree. Not only do these have both white chocolate and cocoa in the recipe, but the pastry is made from cream cheese and the filling with mascarpone - a double whammy of both cheese and chocolate :)

If you are very lucky, you might just spot some chocolate olive oil cupcakes with a goat's cheese frosting provocatively peeping from a cherry tree branch - or at least you might be if you were passing the garden of Fleur from Homemade by Fleur. Unusual these might be, but Fleur reckons they are possibly the best cupcakes she's ever made AND it confirms this winning combination of goat's cheese and chocolate.

Hooray, another goat's cheese and chocolate combination from Mel of Sharky Oven Gloves. This time it is for fig, goat's cheese & chocolate tartlets and with the addition of honey and walnuts they sound absolutely divine.

Using her favourite scone recipe with ricotta cheese, Caroline of Bake, Crumbs and Cooking added some 85% chocolate to this batch of delicious looking chocolate ricotta scones.

My own mascarpone and apple curd tarts with their hidden chocolate layer are something I will be making again, using whatever fruit curd I have made - maybe rhubarb would be good.

Lured in by the chocolate and cheese theme, Foodycat has submitted one of her not to be missed Meat Free Monday recipes. Made with a chocolate balsamic reduction, this goat's cheese and chocolate salad sounds so very delicious, I hope this won't be Foodycat's first and only WSC entry.

Back to something sweet with these pretty white chocolate dipped cake pops by Jo of Comfort Bites. For the filling, Jo has used cream cheese to bind Madeira cake together - what a good idea.

I really like the colour contrast of these cream cheese and chocolate muffins from WSC first timer Amy of lazybaking. Described as "nice and gooey" - I am sold.

More swirled cheese and chocolate in these decedent sounding chocolate cheesecake blondies from Jean of Baking in Franglais. If these are to be on offer at Jean's cake stall in November, I shall be visiting!

Johanna of Green Gourmet Giraffe really pushed the boat out on this one. As a fellow vegetarian, I am a huge admirer of the inventiveness of Johanna's food and I would so love to have been invited along for dinner when she made this Mexican inspired chocolate nut roast with chocolate gravy.

Not happy with her first attempt at peanut butter cheesecake, FlourVonSponge of Sniff & Snort thought again. Second time around, this glorious banana peanut butter cake was born - a banana cake, sandwiched and frosted with peanut butter cream cheese icing & topped with beautiful chocolate curls.

Now here's a real extravaganza from Working London Mummy. I defy anyone not to want to get immediately messy and fizzed up with these vanilla, cocoa and mascarpone millefeuille with popping candy garnish.

Oh, how I love macaroons. Sarah of Maison Cupcake must have known this as she is sharing with us these most delicious looking chocolate philadelphia macarons. But these are macarons with a twist - no not choccy philly, although they do contain that too, but even better, hazelnuts.

What lovely little bites of scrumptiousness these chocolate caramel cups look from Urvashi of Botanical Baker. Of course to make them look as pretty as this, you need to be a lot more adept at piping than I am. Maybe I should have attended the London Chocolate Festival where Urvashi was demonstrating these.

We need to celebrate these lovely little chocolate fruit and nut crispy cakes as things are looking a bit gloomy over at Belleau Kitchen as they are Dom's last sweet treat for a while - apparently!

I'm just wondering how fast I can get over to New Zealand as I know there is the most scrumptious chocolate swirl cake hiding in The KitchenMaid's fridge. The question is, why did it take her so long to make it?

In at the very last minute came chocolate cheesecake cupcakes from What I Baked This Weekend. This is the first recipe I've seen from the new Marian Keyes' book.

I was pleased to see another savoury entry from Laura of How to Cook Good Food. The pairing for chocolate this time was ricotta with these yummy baked ricotta cakes, watercress and a chocolate balsamic dressing.

Is it a spaceship? No, it's a beautiful white chocolate capped chocolate cream cheese pound cake from Kit of Lost in Austen. Unusually, the cream cheese forms part of the cake batter in this most attractive of cakes.

Jac of Tinned Tomatoes has been promising to make something for We Should Cocoa for such a long time. So this morning, I was truly shocked to discover that she had actually done it, albeit a little late! Well, it was so worth the wait, just look at her Snickers cheesecake loaf - see this and salivate :0

22 comments:

  1. LOL.. My sons said the same thing too! They said it looks like those old fashion spaceship! hahahah Amazing round-up full with very inspiring recipes! Thanks again for adding my spaceship cake in such a short notice! I really do appreciate it! Have a lovely week, Choclette! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous collection of choccy cheesy treats here choclette. Amazing work! A great round up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great round up Choclette, they all look so tempting and it was really good fun to take part. Can't wait to see the next challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant round up Choclette! It is amazing how varied and delicious the entries are even though I thought this was quite a tough challenge. I have come up with my ingredient for May and look forward to posting it up tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry I didn't get time to enter this month, these look great! Hopefully I will be able to enter in May...

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's some really imaginative cooking in this month's challenge! I'd like to try the chocolate Philly, but I'm afraid I'd just spread it on digestive biscuits and eat it all at once!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These all look amazing - I can't wait to try making them myself! Thank you for what you said about my cupcakes, it was appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many fabulous entries...I could eat all of these!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many LOVELY LUSCIOUS entries and LOVED the cheesy chocolate challenge!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant round up! I love all the cheese and chocolate entries... my google reader is already groaning, I need to take a day off to catch up on blog reading :) Look forward to May's challenge - a guest host, how exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely round up! very unusual ideas here

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow..wat a fantabulous round up..hats off..:)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  13. how inspiring - I really want to go and buy some cream cheese and do some baking! Actually I am disappointed that Philly missed a great opportunity to share their recipe for chocolate cream cheese - ha ha (seriously I need to try it)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing round up - well done everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You see I thought you had gone mad, but I am taking it all back now. I want to eat every last one of these entries, especially Janice's delicious creations. Those ones are really calling me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know I was really late, so thank you so much for adding me. And wow, what an amazing roundup, I want to try them all. Can you imagine being at this party?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic. I did a digital layout for my 365+ photo challenge, the prompt was desserts and there were a huge number of photos of chocolate desserts - all made for WSC!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The chocolate cream cheese pound cake is absolutely beautiful. Such beautiful lines!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm most taken with the raspberry and mascarpone tarts - never thought of sneaking cheese in that way! Looking forward to WSC with almonds!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an amazing round up -

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails