Sunday, 13 May 2012

Passionfruit Curd Sponge Cake & Clandestine Cake Club

Finally, I was getting to go to my very first Clandestine Cake Club (CCC) event. Cornwall CCC started up a few months ago, but as it held mostly during week days or if in the evenings has been quite some distance away, I hadn't been able to get to any earlier ones. I was ridiculously excited; this was an opportunity to meet other cake bakers and talk cake for two hours. It was also a fine excuse to eat lots of cake - how good is that? I was a little nervous, I didn't know anyone else who was going to be there, or at least I thought I didn't. This meeting was a mid-week morning one and was way down west. I happened to be on leave, however, so it seemed a good opportunity to take part and also visit Heartlands, which had newly opened just a 15 minute walk away from our venue. CT, lured by the promise of a look around the newly created botanical gardens there as well as indulging his love of cake, bravely accompanied me. The venue was Baker Tom's newly opened cafe in Pool, half way between Redruth and Camborne.

The cake theme was "fruity". Having recently made passionfruit curd, I was keen to make a cake using it. After my disaster with the apple & lemon curd cake, I was slightly concerned, but hoped all would be well if I took a bit more care when turning out the cakes. Thus my Passionfruit Curd Cake was born.

This is what I did:
  • Creamed 225g unsalted butter with 225g cardamom sugar until pale and fluffy.
  • Beat in two large tbsp of passionfruit curd.
  • Beat in 1 goose egg.
  • Folded in 225 sifted flour (100g wholemeal, 100g white, 25g coconut) with a heaped tsp of baking powder.
  • Stirred in 3 tbsp milk.
  • Spooned mixture into two 21 cm cake moulds and baked at 180C for 25 minutes.
  • Left to cool for a few minutes then turned out onto wire racks.
  • Melted 50g white chocolate in a bowl over hot water.
  • Creamed 75g unsalted butter with 125g icing sugar until very pale.
  • Beat in the cooled chocolate.
  • Beat in 2 tbsp passionfruit curd and a couple of teaspoons of orange juice.
  • Used this to sandwich the two cakes together.
  • Mixed 75g icing sugar with enough juice from a mandarin orange to make a slightly runny icing.
  • Spooned this onto the cake and spread it a little to the sides so that some of the icing dripped down the cake in what I like to think is a decorative fashion.
  • Decorated the top with the little sugar daffodils and the citrus sprinkles I won recently.
Thankfully, the cakes both turned out of their moulds with no mishaps whatsoever - a huge sigh of relief was heaved at this point. All I had to worry about was getting it to the meeting in one piece. This was achieved successfully. The cake cut well, was eaten by many and was, I'm pleased to say, delicious with a pronounced passionfruit flavour.

And what of the CCC? Goodness, what an array of amazing looking cakes there were. I didn't manage to get a picture of the whole spread as more kept arriving throughout the morning. Sadly, there was no way I could try all of them, even CT couldn't manage that. But I really enjoyed each and every one I did try and it was very hard to decide which was my favourite. Luckily, we got to take cake home with us too, a nice plateful in fact - yum, what an excellent idea.







Everyone was very friendly and it was interesting to put a few twitter names to faces and meet the organiser Ellie Michell. A pleasing amount of time was spent talking cake. As it happened The Cow Lady, who we know from a previous incarnation and lives near Liskeard turned up as well, what a surprise to find she was into cake baking too.

Ellie has organised some fantastic venues for the Cornwall CCC meetings and this one was no exception. Baker Tom's cafe was really interesting, it was brand spanking new with enough room to set out our wares on wooden table tops. The bakery itself was in full view behind the counter. Despite being a real fan of Baker Tom's pain aux raisins - (I've not yet had better), I'd never met the man behind the bakes before. He was lovely and made us all very welcome. I got to have a tour of his bakery and a look at his rye sourdough which I was particularly interested in to see how it compared to mine. He also allowed us all to have a go at shaping some Fougasse which we then got to take home with us - an unexpected pleasure.


34 comments:

  1. What a fabulous array of cakes...CCCs are great events to meet like minded bakers and a great excuse to eat excessive amounts of cake. I went to my first one in March and am looking foward to the next. Your cake looks great, I love the sound of passionfruit curd!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. As a fellow cake lover, I know you understand. What surprises me, is how little cake I can eat in one sitting - must need more practise ;-)

      Delete
  2. Unfortunately, I had to miss the first event in Cardiff I signed up for as Mike had to travel at short notice, but I'm really looking forward to being able to go to the next one. It seems such a brilliant idea to meet fellow bakers and get to talk cake for an hour or so. It must be very inspirational! Anyway, your cake looks lovely and the passion fruit curd has my mouth watering! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie, not sure how much is inspirational and how much is pure gluttony, but it is good fun. I'm sure you'll enjoy it when you do get to go. Do you have a theme?

      Delete
  3. It sounds like a brilliant event. I haven't been able to get to one yet but really want to. Your cake looks so pretty and Springlike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you MCB - hope you manage to make it some day soon.

      Delete
  4. SUCH a pretty cake Choclette and wonderful flavour combinations. I am off to search for a club near me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe Ren, thank you and hope you find one.

      Delete
  5. What a pretty cake and sounds like an amazing event. Heartlands does too...The Secret Garden sounds intriguing. It must be nerve wracking baking for other bakers...glad you had a good time...that bread looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debby, it was a fun event, especially with the bonus of bread. The gardens are very young at the moment, but it was interesting to see it.

      Delete
  6. The cakes look amazing. It sounds like you had fun. I think we all need cake club in our lives. I akm going to have to decide on my next cake for cake club very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was fun Jac. I've managed to get to two so far, but sadly probably won't make it again for some considerable time.

      Delete
  7. The CCC sounds like a really good club to join,and all the cakes look amazing I bet they taste even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mac, those cakes tasted wonderful :D

      Delete
  8. Was that whole plate of slices just for you!!! I need to go to this place now!!! haha, its my version of dessert heaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha Matthew, much as I'd like it to have been, I live with a cake gannet!

      Delete
  9. wow! beautiful cake! I love passionfruits!

    And those other cakes look wonderful too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Esther - I love passionfruit too, so wish we could grow them here in the UK.

      Delete
  10. Wow - what a stunning array of cakes. Love your cake with it's pretty daffs decoration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CC - yes, those daffs were lovely - sadly didn't have quite enough for the cake though and had to use a few plain white ones.

      Delete
  11. Wow, I really love your cake, it looks so pretty. Glad your CCC went well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice - is there a CCC around your way?

      Delete
  12. I am always so impressed at how much effort goes into the CCC and the end results are always absolutely gorgeous. I wish I could also find a way of just eating and eating all cakes on offer but I haven't reach that standard yet. I have only done this at an arranged afternoon tea event and struggled to get through it all. So, I do think it is a great idea to take home some cake to try the next day.
    I do love the sound of your passionfruit curd cake decorated with such pretty decorations that I have not seen before. Hope you get to go to many more CCCs! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. This seemed to be a great event - eating as much cake as possible, and that with so many good looking and of course good tasting cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It appears to me that this was a very great event - so many good looking and for sure good tasting cakes - completely irresistable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful cake you made! I love all the others too. It's amazing what people can create!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow so many gorgeous cakes. I really have to get myself to a cake club one day soon. I love your passionfruit curd cake and am so pleased (and relieved to hear) that it turned out well. I love the icing dripping down the sides and the pretty yellow flowers (good to see you are putting all your wins to good use!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful, tropical looking cake. I love the sound of the white chocolate filling with the passionfruit. Glad the sponges turned out better than the apple and lemon curd cakes. I still have your apple and lemon curd in my bookmarks! Really need to get round to making it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow what a wonderful and utterly delicious event. I'm so jealous, all those cakes look amazing. Love your passionfruit one, so fresh and fruity. Great location to host it too. Looking forward to seeing what you bake for the next one

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you made it to a CCC event! It is truly amazing how little cake you can actually eat isn't it? I think I managed 3.5 very small slices at the last Devon CCC and that was in the evening without having had any dinner! No stamina at all. Did you have a cake-over the next morning? I actually felt a bit unwell and unable to eat until lunchtime which is highly unusual - as if I'd overdone it on wine or something.

    Your cake looked beautiful (sugar daffodils!) and I love the fact you were able to look around Baker Tom's kitchen. I have made fougasse before and you have reminded me to make them again.

    ReplyDelete
  20. those cakes look wonderful - I would love to go to a CCC meeting but I haven't heard of any in Australia and my cakes rarely look very impressive because I am not really into icing

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the idea of the CCC - it sounds like so much fun! And I bet they all loved this cake - it sounds like such a gorgeous combination of flavours. I'd been wondering what you might make with that passion fruit curd - makes me want to make my own even more now!

    ReplyDelete
  22. A very impressive cakes that sounds divine! I so want to go to a CCC since I have discovered a local one, unfortunately the dates clash with other commitments.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those are impressive CCC cake entries! I am so pleased that there is a CCC local to me too, we are approaching our third meeting. It's been great.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails