Thursday, 26 July 2012

Blackcurrant, Rose & White Chocolate Ripple Ice-Cream

When I set this month's We Should Cocoa challenge for blackcurrants, I couldn't get that fruit out of my head and various ideas kept coming and going. One of these was to make semifreddo using blackcurrants and white chocolate - somehow blackcurrants and dark chocolate just didn't seem right. I've been wanting to try semifreddo for a long time now as I keep hearing various bloggers rave about it and more importantly it doesn't need churning. As I have no ice-cream maker that has got to be a good thing. However Kavey set condensed milk for her Bloggers Scream for Ice-Cream challenge this month and as this is also a no churn ice-cream, I had a rethink. Semifreddo would have to wait for another time.

As it happened, although I'd already made blackcurrant and white chocolate biscuits for We Should Cocoa, I still had blackcurrants in mind for ice-cream. I also had some left over that needed using up. I've never tried rose with blackcurrants before, but as it works so well with rhubarb, strawberries and raspberries, I thought it would do the same for blackcurrants and was keen to try it out. Ren Behan actually got there before me with this delicious looking ice-cream. However, it was too late to change my mind and I was going to do things a little differently anyway. I based my recipe on this Good Food one, but changed it quite considerably.

This is what I did:
  • Simmered 110g of blackcurrants in a small covered pan with a dessertspoon of rose sugar and a desertspoon of water for about 5 minutes.
  • Squished this through a sieve to remove the tops and seeds.
  • Added 1 tbsp of rose syrup.
  • Left to cool.
  • Melted 40g vanillary white chocolate (G&B) over a pan of hot water then stirred in a 100ml condensed milk.
  • Whipped 300ml double cream until soft peaks formed.
  • Added 100ml condensed milk and whipped again.
  • Stirred in the white chocolate mixture until all incorporated.
  • Poured in the blackcurrents and tried to stir it through the mixture to cause a ripple effect.
  • Spooned into containers and placed in the freezer.
This ice-cream really surprised me. Not a hint of ice crystals and a beautifully smooth unctuous feel to it. I had been expecting it to be sickly sweet with all that condensed milk. Although it was sweet however, the blackcurrants balanced it out nicely and it was absolutely delicious. The main flavour was of course blackcurrants, but the richness of the white chocolate gave it body and just a hint of rose pervaded the whole in a delightful way. As I'd hoped, rose pairs very well with blackcurrants too. And of course I just loved the colour of the blackcurrants. All in all I was really satisfied with this easy to make ice-cream and will be making it again for sure. Next time I might try adding less condensed milk and a bit more cream to make it less sweet, but no other adjustments needed.

I am also submitting this to Fabulicious Summer Ices over at Lancashire Food where there is an Emma Bridgewater cool bag to be awarded to one lucky entrant.

31 comments:

  1. Oh wow, it looks stunning. So pleased you enjoyed trying the condensed milk no churn style of ice cream ... I've been so blown away by it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so enamoured Kavey, I've just made some more using a mix of redcurrants, rhubarb and raspberries - flavoured with rose again.

      Delete
  2. How delicious does that look in its unfrozen state? I could quite happily dive in, that colour is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that photo too Kath. I've just made it with a load of pink fruit and whilst it looks good, it doesn't look nearly as impressive ;-)

      Delete
  3. That looks absolutely amazing. You didn't have to do any stirring when it was in the freezer? I have never tried making ice cream cos it sometimes seems like too much faff but if you really just put this in the freezer then leave it, I think I might do this.
    Lou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No stirring required Lou - into the freezer and leave until you're ready to eat - well about 20 minutes before you're ready to eat! If you don't add melted chocolate, it's even less faff and it really is delicoius.

      Delete
  4. I am quite keen on condensed milk and ice cream recipes that don't need an ice cream machine (in that order) - the white chocolate sounds a bit sweet here but I love the sound of berries in it - and would probably like to try dark chocolate too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're way ahead of me there Johanna, this is a first for me. One of the reasons I didn't use dark chocolate was for the colour contrast, but I think it would actually taste rather good.

      Delete
  5. What a fantastic colour! I don't have an ice-cream maker so this recipe would be perfect for me. That's if I don't drink all the condensed milk from the can first *hangs head in shame*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I used to eat condensed milk with a spoon when I was a teenager and could get through quite a bit of it. These days I find it far too sweet on it's own - Luckily!

      Delete
  6. You're right this sounds so addictive. I'll be careful then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness - all these ice cream recipes floating about in my reader! Me thinks summer must have reached some parts of the UK at long last ;0)
    What a fab ice cream flavour combo, my mouth is watering at the sound of it ... I won't mention how the pictures make me want to lick my laptop screen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been meaning to try the condensed milk and cream version of ice cream for ages - as I don't have an ice cream maker I don't think the normal way would work very well, but this looks perfect, and so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a really tasty ice-cream, just perfect for today, I rally love your imaginative adventures with chocolate :-) Jude x

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks fantastic, love the marbling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great - I love the idea of that little touch of rose.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness! Chocolate and roses? Sinfully delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love ice cream, especially on a hot day. I like the color of your ice cream, it's very inspiring... and no ice crystals ..a great result.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beyond beautiful - and delicious on top of that!

    Thanks so much for your message - I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I nearly fainted when I saw that photo of it being mixed up. Oh my! I am about to post a ripple as well, but I am afraid it doesn't have raspberries.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a unique ice cream flavor; it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. YUMMY! Love the color very much & I do prefer them in ice-cream too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG! FABULOUS ice cream and I LOVE the no churn idea! KAren

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks utterly amazing - what a beautiful colour it is. I have made blackcurrant icecream in the distant past and it has an amazing flavour so I can just imagine what this one is like. I must try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks so good-and as it happens I have some blackcurrants just picked...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I TOTALLY missed this post... not sure how... I can't believe how stunning this ice cream looks and sounds... such a glorious colour and I can only imagine how fabulous it tastes... nice work C x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't have an ice cream maker either, (it's on my list) so this is a great recipe for me to try. I'm loving the blackcurrant and white chocolate combo. Adding rose is very clever indeed as I'm sure it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds fantastic - when I had an allotment plot in glasgow I had loads of blackcurrants growing, I am missing them so much this year. Just have to drool over your ice-cream here instead.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stop teasing us with ice cream....its still winter here!!! looks VERY delish! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love making my own ice creams, and this one looks absolutely divine. I have to try it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails