Monday, 27 August 2012

Lemon Sherbet Tiffin - Random Recipes #19

It's time for that most exciting of blog challenges Random Recipes again. This month, Dom over at Belleau Kitchen has taken us back to the beginning with his simple, but not necessarily easy, formula of picking a book randomly and then picking a random page number. With a hundred and one things to do, I was somewhat trepidacious as to what I might be landed with. As usual, CT did the honours and came up with Cox Cookies & Cake by Eric Lanlard. I used my new method of including all of my baking books as well as my chocolate ones: if I don't get a chocolate recipe right away I just keep turning the pages until I come to the first one that includes chocolate. Well CT picked page 78 - fat-free jasmine & violet cupcakes. Hmmm, no chocolate there. Nothing on the next page either or the next one, nothing in fact until page 91 which was for chocolate icing. Well, much as I enjoy a good icing, I didn't fancy just eating a bowl of that on its own. Hmmm, ah, light bulb moment!

Let's start from the very beginning
Although I baked the biscuits for the Tiffin, this is not required as any bought biscuits can easily be substituted.
Whilst reviewing Honeybuns gluten free baking recently and pondering on what exactly I was going to make first, I spotted a new challenge. Sarah Maison Cupcake's new Zero Baking Required made the decision for me: chocolate orange tiffin. Actually, it would be chocolate lemon tiffin as I had some lemon curd that I'd made a while ago and it needed using up. So to get Dom's random recipe into the mix, it was a simple substitution of the Honeybun's chocolate topping for Eric Lanlard's one, or ahem, one based on Eric's. His used single cream which I didn't have, but I did have some double cream. I decided to make only half the quantity of tiffen stated in the book as it did seem rather generous and similarly half the quantity of icing. But first I had to make some custard creams.

This is how I made Gluten Free Chocolate Lemon Tiffin:
  • Melted 50g unsalted butter in a pan with 2.5 tbsp of golden syrup and half 1 scant tbsp of cocoa.
  • Crushed 31 of the heart shaped custard biscuits I'd just made so lovingly with the end of a rolling pin.
  • Poured in the melted butter mixture and stirred until all incorporated. At this point I was rather concerned that the mixture was way too dry and wouldn't hold together. But I decided to trust the recipe and stick with it.
  • Pressed this into the base of a 21 cm (8") sq tin lined with baking paper.
  • Placed in the fridge for 1/2 an hour to set.
  • Creamed 25g unsalted butter with 100g icing sugar until incorporated.
  • Beat in 2 heaped tbsp of home made lemon curd.
  • Spread this over the biscuit base.
  • Placed back in the fridge whilst getting on with the next stage.
  • Heated 100ml double cream in a pan until just about boiling.
  • Poured this over 125g chopped dark chocolate (25g G&B Maya Gold & 100g G&B 72%).
  • Stirred in 25g unsalted butter and 1/2 tsp of orange flower water.
  • Poured this over the lemon cream layer.
  • Placed back in the fridge to set.
  • Slid out of the tin and cut into 16 squares.
I was very glad I trusted the recipe, as the tiffin held together really well and cut beautifully. Even using half the amount, I still got 16 decent sized squares. Using double cream for the chocolate icing worked well, as it set more solidly than I suspect it would have done using single cream. These not only looked appealing, but were delicious too. They were not overly sweet, tasted of chocolate covered lemon sherbet and had a great contrast of textures and flavours - although the orange was rather lost to the lemon. The smooth chocolate, creamy zingy lemon and a really nice crunch from the biscuits worked very well. CT thought these looked very similar to millionaire's shortbread but were far superior. The sweet cloying quality he associated with them was absent and he found them much more refreshing.

As this was the first time I've ever made my own biscuits for a refrigerator cake, I am also submitting these to Javelin Warrior's Made With Love Mondays where everything must be made from scratch - even the lemon curd was my own.

45 comments:

  1. I really like the look of these! I bet they'd be good with a white chocolate topping too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly, if you wanted something a bit sweeter, white chocolate would do nicely. I so love all the variables.

      Delete
  2. Mmmmm. I love sherbet lemons.
    I also like your efficiency - three birds with one stone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - sometimes I manage to get my act together :-P

      Delete
  3. How could you bear to crush those beautiful biscuits? I do love the sound of this, intrigued by the thought of lemon and chocolate. Very clever indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a little "heart" breaking. And the lemon and chocolate was a much better combination than one might think.

      Delete
  4. That does look good, I think the sharpness of the lemon would be better than the orange anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The contrast was a good one, although chocolate and orange is a fantastic pairing too.

      Delete
  5. Very cool recipe, Choclette - love that there's no baking involved and the combination of lemon with chocolate. I have no idea how it would pair (I've never tried it myself), but they're two of my favorite flavors :) And it's awesome you used your own cookies for the base instead of some boxed premade kind... Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One to try JW, it works better than you'd think. I've used it a few times now and have so far found it works.

      Delete
  6. that slice looks so simple and yet you had to make three recipes to get there - that is really made from scratch (and I am glad I am not the only one who rejected the first recipe I found in the Random REcipe Challenge)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the beauty of fridge cake, it can be really quick or extra special if you want to make everything yourself. No rejection Johanna, I used the RR recipe in this one.

      Delete
  7. You had me at Lemon Sherbert. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that lemon cream filling really did taste of sherbet lemon.

      Delete
  8. I absolutely love the sound of these. Chocolate and lemon isn't a combination I make that often, but can imagine the tangy lemon, salty sweet biscuit and chocolate topping is simply divine. I would have called this a kind of millionaire's shortbread - my understanding of tiffin is that the chocolate is incorporated but maybe I'm wrong?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make it sound so good, I want to eat it all over again. Hmmm, I'm not actually up on the niceties of what constitutes Tiffin. My thoughts were similar to yours, but this is what Honeybuns called their creation.

      Delete
  9. how absolutely stunning!... I mean lemon sherbet must be one of my most favourite things in the world ever... then smothered with chocolate, it's a triple win win win!... what a great chocolate icing recipe too, simple but luxurious and very well adapted to what you had in... really beautiful, thank you so much for entering 'the most exciting of blogging challenges' this month ... I shall take that to the printers... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dear Dom. Lemon goes surprisingly well with chocolate. I've been pondering this one for a We Should Cocoa challenge for some time now, but not sure I can cope with the howls of "it's too hard"!

      Delete
  10. Mmmm! I love the idea of these chilled so that they snap when you bite into the chocolate! Great innovation on your part, dearie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, these are definitely better straight from the fridge.

      Delete
  11. They look delicious - love how the recipe evolved too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah. You should know by now that I'm not very good at sticking to recipes.

      Delete
  12. This looks very good...my tiffins always crumble a little bit. This tiffin has been cut perfectly! Well done, a good RANDOM recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rita, I rarely get such a good cut as this - I was well pleased :)

      Delete
  13. This is simply great! Great combo & no bake too! What can you ask more! Love to try these lovely treats! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kit. I'm sure if you made them they would look absolutely stunning.

      Delete
  14. Lovely looking combination there Choc... yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brydie. They were surprisingly good.

      Delete
  15. Sounds and looks like my kind of comforting sweet treat. Choc icing on lemon - lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil, there are far too many comforting sweet treats in the world, they are my downfall :-S

      Delete
  16. a holy trinity of delicious words: lemon sherbet tiffin... and then you go and add chocolate too! This sounds almost too good to be true - gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he, some call me Choclette, others Wicked Temptress ;-)

      Delete
  17. The name alone is good enough for me. I really do love a good tiffin but have always struggled when making it as it normally does not set very well. I am so glad you have tried and proved that this is a recipe to rely on. Also, I think your adaptations are well judged. I happen to love chocolate & lemon combination but those custard cream biscuits take it to another level..........Wow xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both recipes I've tried from the Honeybuns book have worked well Laura - phew! I've not heard of setting being a problem with Tiffin - unless you have it out of the fridge? Thanks for your always supportive comments :)

      Delete
  18. I have never made tiffin, but I think that is about to change. These look delightful and very inventive. I'm impressed by your triple blog challenge entry too. Feels so satisfying to get more than one entry on a post. The lemon sherbert description had my mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fleur, I am truly shocked - no Tiffin? I must say, I don't normally make Tiffin as elaborate as this one, but it was very tasty and worth the effort. There are so many blog events around these days, it's very hard to keep up.

      Delete
  19. I love lemon! Lemon and chocolate would be a great WSC challenge - no complains from me :) This looks fabulous - I am impressed that you made your own biscuits (and then crushed them!) and your own lemon curd.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow Choclette - that really does look delicious. I love the idea of lemon and chocolate on top of the biscuit base - inspired. I don't think I've ever made tiffin either.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well that puts my regular tiffin recipe well and truly to shame. Fantastic recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  22. ooh - what a nice variation on millionaire's shortbread. mr CC would love these - I must bookmark the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The three layered lemon tiffin looks good.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails