Wednesday, 12 September 2012

A Scilly Post: Fig, Almond & Choc Chip Honey Flapjacks

Our celebratory trip to the Isles of Scilly this year, taken as our annual holiday, was utterly and completely glorious. Good walking, a bit of pampering and relaxation and delicious food in a quiet and beautiful location was what we were after and that is exactly what we got. The weather wasn't too bad either. We only got three days of drizzle and mists and the rest of our week was near unbroken sunshine - not bad for this part of the world.
View from Samson Hill Cottage
Cromwell's Castle, Tresco
Rocky islet, Bryher
Our last night

We've been promising ourselves a trip to the Scilly Isles for years. I went to Bryher on a school camping trip when I was twelve and fell in love with the island then. I'd never been back and CT had never been at all despite all the botanical delights to be seen there. If it hadn't been for Issy of Clotted Cream Diaries, I very much doubt we'd have made it this year either. Issy is Scillonian born and this year left her life here on the mainland to go home and set up an eco B&B which just happened to be on the island of Bryher. What with significant birthdays to celebrate and total exhaustion to alleviate, the call was just too strong.

One of many roadside stalls with honesty box, St Agnes
Get your pizzas here

The Scilly Isles are made up of many islands, but only five of them are inhabited. Bryher is the smallest, but also the least developed with a particularly wild moorland quality, which made me feel right at home. We managed to visit all five islands whilst we were there and although Bryher remains my favourite, we were both taken with St Martin's and St Agnes as well. One of the great delights was the virtual absence of motorised road traffic - bliss. We found the Scilly Isles in general to be very laid back and the people friendly - it was like stepping back in time and reminded us of our six months spent in New Zealand back in the 90s.

Scilly rock art on Bryher
Weather forecasting on St Agnes
Boys and their toys! Tresco
Gaia, Tresco Abbey Gardens
Last resting place of Harold Wilson, St Mary's

Samson Hill Cottage is the last dwelling on the sheltered side of the island, so it was wonderfully quiet and secluded. Overlooking Tresco, we had a stunning view of the sometimes turquoise waters. On the day of our arrival, we were welcomed with a huge cream tea, with local clotted cream and jam and a pile of scones made by Issy, which we scoffed in the garden. As well as a fabulous breakfast with more menu choices than I've ever seen and using as much local produce as possible, we also enjoyed three evening meals. Each afternoon when we returned from our various outings, we'd find a piece of delicious homemade cake in our room. Goodness me, Issy's double chocolate brownies were something else, in fact they were so good, I forgot to take a picture. In addition to the B&B, Issy and her husband Gareth also do two pizza nights a week from their wood fired pizza oven in the garden. Despite our feeling of repleteness, we couldn't resist a pizza on our last evening and we are so glad we indulged. Oh, did I mention the fudge? We had a packet of locally made fudge (which just happened to be made by Issy's mum) left in our room on a couple of occasions too.

Sweetcorn Fritters, one of the many vegetarian breakfast options available
CT raring to get started on the Full Scillonian
Issy's homemade pain au chocolat - what's left of it anyway
Scilly pea soup with goat's cheese & croutons
Couldn't resist this cheeseboard with four Cornish cheeses - who needs dessert?
Not on the menu - Portuguese Man-of-war, all washed up with nowhere to go

As well as the chocolate brownies and pain au chocolat, we did have a couple of other chocolate indulgences whilst visiting the other islands. Sadly the chocolates, handmade on St Agnes, were not available on our visit, but luckily the island had chocolate ice-cream, made with Jersey and Ayrshire clotted cream. It was the best ice-cream I've had in a very long time - thick, creamy and rich. It worked really well with the, ahem, "bonus" scoop of rose geranium - a complete revelation.

Troytown Farm Ice Cream
So with all that food, lunch and sometimes dinner was hardly a priority for us. Quite honestly, the flapjacks I made before I left were not really needed, but they did come in useful on the long boat trips to and from Scilly and allayed any possible hunger pangs that arose during the day whilst we were out walking. I think we've come back two stone heavier than when we left.

Fig, Almond & Chocolate Chip Honey Flapjacks
  • Melted 125g unsalted butter in a large pan with a heaped tbsp of Cornish runny honey.
  • Stirred in 75g demerara sugar.
  • Stirred in 280g rolled oats.
  • Added 50g chopped dried figs, 50g chopped almonds and 25g dark 70% chocolate chips.
  • Stirred until all incorporated.
  • Pressed into a 9 x7 inch tin and scattered with sesame seeds.
  • Baked at 180C for 20 minutes.
  • Allowed to cool, then cut into 12 rectangles.
For other flapjack inspiration using chocolate, take a peek some of the other flapjacks I've made.

Laura from How to Cook Good Food has wisely chosen figs as this month's One Ingredient, an excellent challenge that she co-hosts with Working London Mummy. I do like figs.

Homemade by Fleur is doing a flapjack challenge, so I couldn't resist entering these figgy delights, even though it is a little late in the day (11/10/12).

24 comments:

  1. Oh Choc, what a lovely holiday. I would love to go to the Scilly Isles and Issy's place sounds wonderful with all that delicious food. I love that picture of CT wanting to tuck into his bacon (making the most of the rare occasion, presumably).

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful pics!!
    Seems like you had a great time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a keen gardener, I am dying to get over the the Scilly Isles and it was on our list of places to go a few years ago before kids. We never did make it, but you have made me want to go now. I knew it would be good and I love how quiet and relaxed it must be without traffic to disturb you.
    So much good food to enjoy, wow, what a treat. I bet it felt great to be spoiled and indulged, that is what holidays are for!
    I love your figgy flapjacks, packed full of flavour and texture from the nuts, chocolate and sesame seeds. A wonderful One Ingredient entry, thank you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a really lovely time, your photos are gorgeous - especially the sunset!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those flapjacks look to die for! Looks like you had a fab time. Sweetcorn fritters, pain au chocolat, goats cheese...yummm!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks beautiful, remote and natural. Def a place to visit. It must have been very relaxing. The food looks very nice as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like a brilliant holiday, so glad you got a rest and were able to relax and enjoy the local produce. I love figs too and have ordered some in my online shop this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a fabulous holiday - will add it to my long list of places to go. Your pictures look so inviting, I wish I was there now! Great flapjacks too, they are so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely views and photos and smashing food, which is what makes a good holiday for me, if you put weight on it was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! I'm glad you had such a good time and Issy's B&B meals look positively mouth watering. Great flapjack recipe too, I like the use of figs in a non traditional way ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So nice to read about your break Choclette. I want to visit even more now. Glad to read you has such a jolly time and hope you had a good rest too! Love the sound of the flapjacks - they are bookmarked for when I have some time for "me" baking ; )

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it when you take us to the seaside, thanks Choc! And can you believe I still haven't made flapjacks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed this post about your holiday, beautiful pictures and a good description of Scilly (I've never visited...). Your flapjack looks sticky and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a glorious post and a wonderful looking holiday. I too have always fancied the Scilly isles and now I am just even more keen to go visit. Look at all that glorious food and wonderful art. Utter perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an absolutely amazing sounding trip!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glorious photos! Great sounding flapjacks too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh MY! Those flapjacks look fab! Bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What beautiful pictures of your holiday - it sounds and looks as though you had a wonderful time and enjoyed some lovely food too. Those flapjacks look great - I love the way flapjacks are so easy to customise and so yum!

    ReplyDelete
  19. sounds a great holiday - did you come across information about an author in the early 20th century who took on Bryher as her pen name. I came across her in my studies at uni so this island stirred some memories. All the food sounds wonderful - great way to celebrate and unwind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joahanna, I've not heard of this author which must now be immediately rectified. Thanks for alerting me, I shall do some searching.

      Delete
  20. Thank you all for your splendid and generous comments. I'm very much in catching up mode and am unlikely to be able to respond individually, but they are all very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow Choclette this is a wonderful combination of many of my favourite ingredients - fig, chocolate, almond and honey. Who could resist. Scilly sounds really interesting. I would love to go - and your pictures and post make it wound wonderful

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails