Wednesday, 17 October 2012

Cornwall Clandestine Cake Club Celebrates its First Birthday


What a glorious first birthday party. A bunch of Cornish cake fans gathered last Friday to celebrate the first birthday of Cornwall's Clandestine Cake Club. Ellie Michell, our generous founder and mistress of ceremonies, has been coming up with interesting themes and locating fabulous venues over the last twelve months. You can see her write up here. As this was a Friday, I was not at work and thus able to attend - making this my fourth CCC. I was particularly pleased to catch up with this month's We Should Cocoa host, the HungryHinny.

Watergate Bay
We gathered on a bright and sunny, if showery, day at the Watergate Bay Hotel near Newquay. The function room has been newly built and enjoys fabulous sea views over the bay. CT, who somehow blagged his way into this event and was the only man present, attempted to eat his body weight in cake. I'm pleased to say he failed in this venture, but I followed his lead and enjoyed more cake than was probably good for me, not sadly, that I managed to try all of them.

Nigella's Birthday Custard Sponge by Ellie
My Chocolate Salted Caramel Cake
Cocoa & Sweet Potato Cake
Carrot, Courgette and Orange Cake
Carrot and Walnut Cake
Chocolate Chess Cake
Gorgeous Lemon Cream Cake
Nigella's Chocolate Delight
Caramel Apple Cake by HungryHinny
Malteser Cake
Iced Lemon Curd Layer Cake
Banana Cake by The Cow Lady
Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
Round One!
Driven by guilt we decided to make our way up onto the cliffs and walk off some of our excesses. Somehow we managed to dodge the showers and enjoyed an invigorating hike along Bedruthan Steps.

Bedruthan Steps
The road to nowhere

17 comments:

  1. Wow! One year old. Well done you lot! And what an incredible array of cake. It makes one feel jealous and a little ill at the same time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cakes are so beautiful!!
    Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous cake selection! Which ones did you taste?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm those cakes look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful display of cakes, could you get a slice of each cake????? I like the photos of Cornwall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a talented bunch you are. The cakes look stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a load of fab looking cakes and that malterser cake has my name all it! My CCC club in France is so hard to run, no motivated people here sadly, so I may galvanise them all in the Scarborough! Well done for 1 year in Cornwall! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many many many lovely cakes as was to be expected.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow-I get a little behind catching up on my blog reading and then find you have all been baking these wonderful cakes-I’m almost drooling!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday. The cakes look delicious. I especially like the simplicity of the coffee and walnut cake. Yum x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seeing the pictures of all the cakes makes me feel full again - I'm actually a little ashamed by how many I managed to try, but they were very thin slivers... Lovely to see you and CT, hopefully catch up at another CCC again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice display of cakes! They are all beautifully made.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow what a lot of delicious looking cake. Certianly a fun and tasting club to be part of :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic. I can just see your cake poking out on the table there! Good job you had some amazing views to walk off some of the cake, I wouldn't have known where to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow that looks like a very dangerously delicious place to be at ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. WoW! What a great selection of birthday cakes. Tell me, how do you all manage to try a bit of each without exploding ... I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to stop at just a spoonful of each!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, what a fantastic looking collection of cakes for a party! I bet you all felt spoilt and happy to have so much choice!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails